Few Important Tips To Maintain Electrical System At Home

Spread the love

The electrical system plays an imperative role in life. The entire electrical structure needs to be in good condition for the safety of the people as well as their house. Flawed electrical wirings can be perilous and must be taken care of by an expert.

To avoid any hazard, when they show any signs of sparks or short circuit, they must be maintained without wasting a minute. A well-kept electrical system lasts longer and also gives a peace of mind knowing that you are safe.

Here is a list of a few tips that can help you keep track of the whole electrical system and how to retain the same.

But first, there are some signs to look out for when it comes to the faulty electrical system

  1. The Presence of current in switchboards and sockets.
  2. Any fluctuation in voltage, flickering light, the fuse of bulbs and tubes more than often.
  3. Short-circuiting, heating up of adapter or socket plates, etc.
  4. Notice the dips in voltage when turning on heavy appliances, such as Chimney, Air conditioner, etc.
  5. Don’t let rats and raccoons chew the wires. Also, keep an eye if there is water accumulated near your home’s circuit system.

Regular Check

Mark the dates on the calendar and keep a monthly track on your electrical sources. Regular testing of your power outlets and wirings is essential, and you don’t need a professional to do that.

Testers are affordable and readily available. The tester has indicator lights on three prongs. As you plug the tester into a switch, the lights indicate any issue in any individual switch.

The sooner you figure out the problem, the easier it is to solve it, and the risk of fire or any dangerous malfunction can be avoided.

Buy Branded & Certified Products

It is the usual human potential to get attracted to low-cost alternatives. But taking account of the same behavior while purchasing electrical outlets and wiring can cost your life.

Selecting the recommended and certified electrical wires and outlets is an ideal choice. It is because only branded products are qualified and tested for all its constraints and performance rates to ensure complete safety.

Moreover, using certified products increase the life expectancy of the electrical system.

Replace Old Wiring With New

Old and damaged wiring must be replaced instantly. The process of change the wiring outlet is simple, but if it seems more complicated, do not hesitate to call an expert.

But if you notice that the switch plate is warm, it means there is something wrong with the wiring inside It can be very dangerous and needs to be replaced immediately with the help of a skilled electrician.

It is always recommended to be extra careful when it comes to home safety. There are many certified and proficient electricians if you need any assistance regarding high voltage operations and maintenance in Qld.

Never Mix Water and Electricity

This appears to be the most obvious one, yet you will find various cases of light electric shocks at home. The reason could be clean an electrical appliance by wiping or washing with water or touching a socket with wet hands. One needs to avoid doing that.

Keep the appliances as far as possible from faucets. Sockets must be installed away from the shower and bathroom sinks.

Besides, avoid multitasking, for instance, don’t use a hair-dryer and wash your hand at the same time. Just in case you witness any spark in the gadget or an outlet, it is time to call for an expert.

Avoid Multi-Plugging

Many of us use extension leads and multi-pin plugs in our homes. However, although there is an outlet to plug in three to four appliances, doesn’t mean it is always safe.

For example, plugging grinder and microwave oven in one wall plug can be extremely dangerous and can heat up the socket, resulting in a fire or power outages. So always try to avoid multi-plugging.

Moreover,  if you are using an extension, always check the current ratings of the extension lead. Most of them are rated at 13 amperes, but some are rated at ten amperes or less.

DIY is Not Always the Solution

Although changing wires of a socket is a simple task, but it not always best to do it by yourself. If the problem persists longer than it should, immediately call for professional help.

An expert electrician can solve your problem for a longer run.

Final Words

Electrical systems, including outlets, wires, circuit trip breakers, voltage box, and tubes amongst many other things should be maintained regularly and if necessary, must be replaced if they show any signs of damage.

Never overlook voltage consumption of heavy appliances like refrigerators, televisions, etc. They not only can increase your bills but also cause substantial damage to your electrical system. 

Always keep a check on faulty wirings and change them if necessary.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *