A key Guide to Student Visa 500 Australia

By | September 14, 2019
student visa

Almost every student once dreams to study overseas in Australia. To study in Australia, every overseas student needs to have a Visa subclass 500. With a student visa 500, a student may study in Australia and stay in Australia temporarily for a maximum of about 5 years. The Student Visa Subclass 500 also privileges a student to part-time work entitlement where a student is allowed to work for 40 hours per fortnight while the semesters are going on and for unlimited and unrestricted hours during the semester breaks.

To be able to apply for a Student visa 500, you should have accepted your offer and got yourself covered under an Overseas Student Health Cover. You also must have compulsorily received your Confirmation of Enrollment before you could apply for Visa Subclass 500.

What do you know about a Student Visa Australia Subclass 500?

A visa subclass 500 is a temporary type visa subclass with which you may stay for a specified time in Australia and attain any study course or degree in Australia at an Australian educational institution registered under the CRICOS. A student visa 500 Australia will entitle you many privileges in Australia which includes:

  • Undertaking a full-time study course in a CRICOS registered Australian educational institute.
  • Living in Australia and enter and exit several times in Australia until the validity of the visa subclass 500 and till the duration of the enrolled course.
  • Work entitlement in Australia for 40 hours per fortnight while the ongoing semesters and for unlimited hours during semesters break.
  • You will be allowed to bring your family members as dependents of your Student visa application in case you are under 18 years of age and need to be taken care of.
  • You are also allowed to change your course of study, but you need to notify the DIBP about the same.
  • You will have to leave Australia earlier in case your changed course completes before the previous one. However, your visa can also be extended by applying for a new visa if your changed course is longer than the one you actually applied for before coming to Australia. 

How to apply for a Student Visa 500?

To apply for a student visa Perth, you may consult expert Migration Agent in Perth and get hassle-free access to the visa subclass 500 to study in Australia. You may lodge an application for visa subclass 500 with the help of a Migration Agent or directly to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA). While making a direct application to the DHA, you would be required to make an ImmiAccount and make an online application through the website of DIBP. The Immigration Consultant Perth may help you with the application lodging process for student visa 500. You will need the following documents to lodge a visa application:

  • Letter of the offer (copy)
  • Electronic Confirmation of Enrollment (copy)
  • Passport
  • The application payment made you as specified on the DIBP website.

While applying for a student visa, you should always keep in mind that you cannot be a holder of Following visa subclass:

  • Transit visa subclass 771;
  • Diplomatic visa subclass 995;
  • Domestic Worker Subclass visa 426;
  • Visa Subclass 403 Temporary Work International Relations visa;
  • Visa subclass 600 visitor visa. 

You may apply for a student visa subclass 500 while being in Australia on a temporary visa except for those subclass visas mentioned above. If you have any confusion regarding any of the conditions stated above then do contact Migration Services Perth

You can also extend your stay in Australia with a student visa 500 if your current student is about to expire and you apply within 28 days of its validity expiry, but this can be done only once.

Essentials about Student visa 500:

The Student visa Australia subclass 500 has certain strict conditions which should be essentially followed so as to be able to continue living with the visa subclass 500 in Australia. The conditions laid are:

  • You should be enrolled into a full-time course in an Australian institution registered under the CRICOS.
  • Your academic performance should display satisfactory progress.
  • The course must be completed within the time frame as specified in the electronic Confirmation of enrollment.
  • There is a certain level of English language requirement which is essential to be able to apply for studying in Australia. This can be achieved by scoring at least the minimum required score in the test organized by several English language providers in Australia.
  • You must not work for more than 40 hours per fortnight with a visa subclass 500 unless you are a student of Masters by research and doctoral research.
  • As soon as you arrive in Australia, you must notify your university about your address of residence in Australia and any charges thereon.
  • You should be covered under an Overseas Student Health Cover from an approved Australian Government health cover provider until your visa remains valid.
  • Maintenance of appropriate arrangements in case you have dependents of school-age in Australia.
  • In case, any of the changes take place with your visa status, you should inform such changes to your enrolled University.

It is to be noted that, if you fail to comply with any of the visa Subclass 500 conditions, you may violate the terms of your stay in Australia and might have to return to your country.

If you are also interested to apply for the Student visa Perth or a visa subclass 500 and enjoy your stay while studying and working in Australia, you may reach out to an Immigration Consultant Perth or contact our Migration Agent for detailed information and best guidance and assistance regarding the Student visa Subclass 500.